Monday, September 9, 2013

Things My Sister Taught Me About Preaching The Gospel.


The following is the homily I gave for my sister Lynn’s Funeral Mass on September 5th, 2013


   If you could give me just a moment to compose myself so I can get through this, otherwise Lynn will be calling me a turkey.

   For those of you who knew Lynn, you knew that she pretty much had her own language. And the words she used could have different meanings, as my sister in law would say; it depended on the tone of her voice.

   Being called a turkey wasn’t always a bad thing but being called a hotdog had a totally different meaning, you didn’t want to be called a hotdog. But as I looked back on Lynn’s life it wasn’t the words she used as much as the acts she did that formed her being.

   St Francis has been attributed to have said "Preach the gospel at all times -- If necessary, use words."
Now I know that you’re not supposed to use the homily as a eulogy, but I don’t think I am, as much as I am using examples of Lynn’s life and how they relate to preaching the Gospel.

   Over the past 6 months I knew this day would come and I started to put together a homily. But this Monday about 5:30 in the morning I woke up withthoughts going through my head so fast I had to get up and start writing them down before I forgot them.

   I thought of the story of Jesus in the temple and how when Mary and Joseph found him he said “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house? This reminded me of when I would go to see Lynn at her home she would tell me, “You go home I stay here.” She knew she had work to do there.

   When I thought of the compassion Jesus showed to the lowliest of people, it reminded me of how Lynn’s caregivers, her second family at her home, would tell me how she would calm some of the others there, sitting by them and telling them that they will be ok.

   When I thought of Jesus at the wedding at Cana it reminded me of how Lynn loved weddings and dancing. It made me wonder what would of Jesus look like doing the chicken dance.

   When I thought of Jesus and the children and how he told the disciples not to hinder them, it reminded me of how accepting Lynn was of everyone she met. Jesus loved children for their innocence. He taught that entering heaven is not about greatscholarly knowledge, admirable accomplishments, or social status. It requires simple faith in God.

   Lynn was the most welcoming person ever. No matter who you were if you met her you got a hug and a high five. She was the official door greeter at her home.

   When I hear of Jesus’s unconditional love for his people I think of how it was expressed through Lynn, and of how many of you here experienced, not only her love but God’s love with every smile and hug that Lynn gave. I believe it was that love that brought many of you here today.

   I remember how when I was younger and still living at home, and then again when Lynn came to live with us those short 5 years, how I would say night prayers with her. How I would say the prayers out loud and Lynn would follow along in her own words, which sounded more like mumbles. I could not understand what she was saying but you could tell she knew and God knew

   In Romans 8 26-27 we are told that In the same way, the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressible groanings. And the one who searches heartsknows what is the intention of the Spirit, because it intercedes for the holy ones according to God’s will.

   A few years ago I came across a prayer by St. Ignatius Loyola that helps me to make sense of Lynn’s life. It is called Dedication to Jesus and it goes like this.

Lord Jesus Christ, take all my freedom, and my memory, my understanding and my will. All that I have and cherish you have given me. I surrender it all to be guided by your will. Your love and grace are wealth enough for me. Give me these, Lord Jesus and I ask for nothing more. Amen

Now it is time to say Lynn, go with God, to break bread with the one whose life and death has guaranteed the everlasting life we seek. May his angels lead you today into paradise, as you begin your new life, in which health replaces illness, youth replaces age, and certainty replace doubt; as you enter the company of those loved ones who preceded you and as you wait for those who are to follow.  And when you see Mom Dad Ron and Kathy tell them we love them.

I know when the good Lord came to take you, you stopped at the gates of heaven turned around and said You go home, I stay here, and I say No Lynn you go home, I'll stay here.

1 comment: