Thursday, August 29, 2013

Let Me Tell You About My Sister!



I write this while sitting in my sister Lynn's room as she is possibly taking her last breaths. Working on a rescue squad for twenty years I have seen a lot of suffering and death but it never the same when it is your own family member.

Lynn was born with Downs Syndrome about a year and a month after me. The doctor told my parents they would be lucky if she lived for 18 months. That was over 57 years ago. 

That was a time that if someone was born that way they would be put in an institution to live out their days. But that was not an option for my parents, Lynn would not be treated any different then her sister and three brothers that came before her. 

I became very protective of my sister, and she knew that I would kill for her, which I did. Many a fly, and moth met their demise because Lynn thought they were going to eat her.

For as long as I can remember I have always wished I could get just an hour in Lynn's head to just to understand her better. To be able to feel what she feels, to try to understand her language, to know what it is like to be her.

But most importantly I wanted to experience the unconditional love she was able to give to everyone she met. Hugs were given out no matter who you were and if you wanted one or not. There was no holding back and there was enough for everyone to go around. 

My father died when I was 15, so I became the head of the family, taking care of my mother and sister. My mother continued to take care of Lynn til the day she died at the age of 91. A few years earlier I became Lynn's legal guardian when mom was not able carry out those duties. 

The day that mom died, Lynn came to live with my wife Joan and I along with our son Craig. We made some adjustments but it was doable until Lynn had her first stroke. It became apparent then that she would need more care then what we could provide. 

Through many prayers and help of angels that were sent our way we were able to find a home for her that was only 4 miles from our house. I remember the day we dropped her off. Her case worker told us we would have it harder transitioning then Lynn would. How right she was, as we were leaving for the night Lynn told me, " You go home, I stay here." I told her "you behave,  I pay your bills." Then I left bawling my eyes out all the way home. 

The home God lead us to was not only perfect for Lynn but for us too. This became Lynn's home, but we were always welcome, day or night, to come visit. Her care givers became her friends and second family, and we could not have asked for a better place for her.

Now it comes to today, and I know that her time with us is growing short. I don't know when it will happen but I know when the good Lord comes to take her she will stop at the gates of heaven turn around and say You go home, I stay here, and I will say No Lynn you go home, I'll stay here.


UPDATE

Shortly after 11 a.m. on the 31st of August 2013, Lynn left to go to her heavenly home. She will be deeply missed by all who ever met her. Rest in Peace my dearest sister. 
With all our love, Dennis and Joan :_(







6 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes, reading this. Her love and hugs always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless Lynn and all of you. She has made your life a brighter and better. She'll definitely be a saint for you to pray to & for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so beautiful and touching! Thanks for sharing this with me so I could have the chance to 'get to know' Lynn! Gods blessings Carmen and family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers to your family! You have helped me in the past, if I can help you please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dcn. Dennis,
    Please know that my prayers are with Lynn, you and your family. May our dear Lord Jesus and His Blessed Mother be close to all of you to comfort and strengthen you. It sounds that Lynn's earthly journey has touched many lives, and continues to touch many more including those reading this post.
    Blessings
    Dcn. Conrad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy Nachtwey GhaniAugust 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM

    I am truly touched by your words Dennis. I remember your devotion to Lynn and the smile and open arms of hers. May God bless you and your family for all you do for everyone. Prayers to keep you all able to adjust to the changes your lives are taking.

    ReplyDelete