Saturday, September 29, 2012

Home Alone (Not the Movie)



   I am sure many of you remember the movies Home Alone, where the young boy is left behind inadvertently, by his family. The movie starts out seriously but then turns into a comedy of sorts.

   This weekend got me thinking a little about this in a different way, for you see I am home alone. My wife went to a relatives wedding out of state, my son left to visit a friend and my other son is busy with his family. My two daughters and their families live two hours away so here I am home alone.

   I got to thinking about others who are alone also, those who have lost a spouse, single parents with grown children, elderly either in a house by themselves or in a nursing home and others who, by their own choice, are alone.

   I don't mind some alone time now and then but even a few days of being alone starts to wear on me. I can't stand being somewhere by myself. Yes I know that God is everywhere and we are never alone from Him, but the bible also states the God said "It is not good for the man to be alone" and thus he continued to create humankind.

   It was hard to go out to even eat by myself and I can't imagine how so many do this for years of their lives. When I post on Facebook that it was sad to be out on a Friday night eating by self in a deli, my niece commented " Eating and preparing food is way more fun with others." I have to agree.

   We are social creatures and need each other in our lives. That is why I feel at home when I go the church or even to work at times like this. It is that human contact, even when words are not spoken, just knowing there are others around. I pray that God will keep my eyes open to others who are alone so that in a small way, by a smile or a hello or a nod of the head,  I can be a part of their lives, even for just a few moments.

   And so I take my leave to join others at my grandsons flag football games this morning so that a small community can come together for a short while and feel a part of each others life's and not waste this beautiful fall morning that God has created for us all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment