Monday, August 13, 2012

Life is like a Weed Eater


   I had a tiring day today, coming off a weekend of family fun at Rib Mountain and Logger's Water-park in Wausau, WI.  It was a fun, yet intense weekend, of rock climbing and water sliding but today it was back to work catching up on things around the rental unit and the house, before heading back to work on Tuesday.

   Well I got the grass cut at the rental unit and did some cleaning up outside, as I try to get it ready for renting again. Then headed to my office to get some paperwork done for the St Vincent De Paul July reports. Finishing up the day by heading back home to get my lawn cut. By the time I got there my son Craig was starting to cut the grass with the rider, so I figured I would get the trimming done.

   Of course I have been having problems with my Weed-eater and for about a good half hour I tried everything I could think of to get it to even start. What's the saying, fuel, air, spark? I had new gas mixture in the tank, air filter looks good and choke was working correctly. I pulled the spark plug and it looked good, in fact I remembered I just changed it a few weeks ago. Even after I rechecked the gap and was getting good spark, still no luck.

   Time to dig a little deeper, what else could be wrong? If you look at the picture above you will notice a small rubber bulb that you need to push a few times to help prime the carburetor. It seemed to be doing it's job but there still didn't seem to be getting any fuel to the engine. 

   I decided to loosen the screws and pull the bulb off to see if it really was working. Everything looked okay, but I noticed what looked like a little dirt in one of the chambers. There was also a small meshed screen that the bulb housing sits on that also had some dirt on it, so I carefully cleaned both parts and put it back together. When I was done, I gave the  starter a pull and bingo, we have ignition, we have lift off.! 

   When I was done I thought to myself, there must be a life lesson in this somewhere, and sure enough some thoughts came to me. If you take a look at the picture again you will see some white zip ties around the air filter housing. As in life when we get older we sometimes have things start to wear out and we need some help to hold us together. Other times we need a change to bring about a new spark in our lives.

   But then there are times that we think that everything looks right, feels right, but just isn't. We feel we have filtered out all the things in our lives that could cause us harm. But there may still be that little bit of something that does not allow us feel at peace. We may get depressed and just totally shut down. No matter how hard we try, we can just not get started again.

   It could be something that is so small that we do not see it ourselves, but it is big enough to block out the things we need. If we don't know it is there, how can we correct it? Or even if we know, we might not have the ability to correct it ourselves. 

   It is times like these, that we need to accept the help of those who love us, who depend on us and allow them to take us apart gently, show us the things that are blocking the love, the fuel we need to carry on, and give us the pull to start us up again. It is only then that we can come back to new life and continue on with the purpose for which we were designed for.

No comments:

Post a Comment